Hi Everyone! I realize a lot of my readers are creatives and bloggers that come to me for social media tips and advice. I like to discuss topics that can benefit everyone, so I want to talk about the challenges of working from home. This can apply to anyone who works from home full time or anyone who is looking to be more productive when they are home.
I work from home because I have my own social media company. I've found some days prove to be very tough to be productive. Here are some ways that you can maximize your productivity working from home:
1. Get dressed: Being able to work from home is NOT an excuse to sit in bed in your PJs all day. The best way to be productive from home is to get dressed in the morning, as you would to go out. Unfortunately, I learned the hard way that when I stay in pajamas all day, I end up just watching TV and don't get any kind of important work done. I feel so much better when I get dressed and get myself together so I am able to take on the rest of the day.
2. Figure out what time of day you are most productive: I am definitely not a morning person and I have figured out that I do all of my best work at night! Determine whether you are a morning or night person so that you can take advantage of when you are most productive. If you are a night owl, obviously waking up at 8am most likely is not the best time to get your work done. Make it a point to get your best work done during those hours that work best for you!
3. Make a to do list: Make a list of what you need to get done for the day/week and stick to it! This helps me stay organized and holds me accountable to actually getting sh*t done!
4. Create a beautiful work space: Make a nice space in your home where you can escape to so you are able to be productive. It's important to separate your personal space from work space. Set time and space boundaries in your home so you can separate the two when you aren't working! I share an office with my mother who is an interior designer and we recently cleared and organized the space so we are able to both work in there instead of our bedrooms.
5. Get out! I feel as if i'm more productive if I get dressed and get out for a bit. Take breaks or even go work at a local coffee shop.
Working from home is an amazing luxury and I couldn't imagine it any other way now, but it is important to make sure you are spending your time to be the most productive. Think of it this way: you are lucky not to spend that extra time to commute to work everyday- so make the most of that time!